audi `90 coupe 2.3 20v 7A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• audi `90 coupe 2.3 20v 7A

Well, after 10 years registrated in this forum, I think that it is the time to present my car... I am going to talk my story trying to sum up a lot. Take some popcorns.

It is a audi coupe 2.3 20v FWD engine code 7A, from early 90s, 2 connectors ECU.
    I bought it in 2009 here in my location (Spain), but this car is from Switzerland. Thats why the car does not have AC but it come with solar roof. I am the third owner, Previous one imported the car himself in the `97.

In the Pictures attached, we can see the car when I bought it.

1-60491314-510807664-60491314-1253138164# .jpgSNC00057.jpg20130723_171541.jpg

As you can see, the car had some things.
    - Koni coilovers + yellow springs
    - Momo wheels 17' inches
    - B4 conversion?
    - Windows and rear tail lights smoked.
    - Remus exhaust
    - Momo steering wheel
    - Black painted grill

During next years, I was young and I started with a car audio installation. I put speakers on the doors, a subwoofer box and an amplifier removing the extra wheel. In that moment I didn´t expect I will stay with this configuration more that 10 years... haha

IMG_1381.JPGIMG_1375.JPG

2010 was the year when government started to control tuning, They implanted the obligation to have all parts homologated. I couldn´t pass the inspection due to the rear exhaust, so I had to cut all the pipe line and put a new one... Horrifying but that's what there is....

IMG_0776.JPG

Days after, I swapped the tails to make it more attractive.

IMG_1164.JPG

After that, I had some issues that we can avoid until we got to 2015. My girlfriend was driving my car when she had an accident. Another car crashed into her in a highway retention. She was good, but the car had big damashes.

2015-01-19 17.13.33.png

It was a difficut decision. At that moment, this car was my daily car, It runs very good and without issues. Of course the Insurance valued my car in 450€, so I couldn´t repair or buy another car with that amount.
    At the end, I Payed a lawyer and I claimed all the repair invoice. This repair took me over a year, 6 months fighting with the insurance and another 6 to repair the car before going to the judgment. I took the opportunity to paint the rest of the car too.

2015-01-22 12.41.13.jpg2015-04-27 10.41.51.jpg
    IMG_6762.JPGIMG_6778.JPG

I was very very happy to have the car running again. But happiness didn't last long. Engine started to sound baddly 6 months after. It was the crankshaft.... OMG!

At this moment, with the car fully painted, It was a difficult decission... But I was an student in that moment...

During next months, I asked for advice, And with my few budget, I started looking for a good engine to swap it.... In my country, there are not 7A engines ( all are imported). Here was the NM engine.

I can tell all the story, but summing up, I had 2 bad repairs before changing my mechanic.... Firstly a NM engine and secondly a 70km repair...yes...70km... 1 year lost.

At the end, I fixed my engine with another crankshaft, new rods and another staff...

20170825_183123.jpg20170825_191045.jpgScreenshot_20220309_191248_com.whatsapp.jpg
    Screenshot_20220309_191729_com.whatsapp.jpgScreenshot_20220309_191743.jpg

Screenshot_20220309_191342_com.whatsapp.jpg

to be continue....

That was mid 2017, so during that years, I bought some upgrades...

Firstly RS2 headlights. I swaped the connectors avoiding cut my car wires...
    I had to change the climate radiator, so taking advantage of removing the dashboard I added the check control connection

fMr7Xvh.jpg62HIRdY.jpg
    DgEBouY.jpgUHuSLBZ.jpg
    nXyqL6a.jpgSLAoLJR.jpg

From mid 2017 till mid 2020, the car comes and go back to the mechanic several times. It appears problems due to stay some years stopped. And at the end, the mechanic tried to fix it when he had time....

In 2020, with covid situation...The mechanic called me saying that the car was ready!
    With the car in my hand again... I started doing more things.

- Interiors was in bad shape due to humidity, so I finished car audio installation and restorated door pannels.
    - Installed Nardi steering wheel
    - white turning lights and rs2 or s2 fog lights.
    - Changed all brake system due to issue problems ( pressure accumulator, servo, brake bomb, pump repair, etc etc)

HA8iPfd.jpgMobBhrg.jpg
    IYgyR8k.jpgJqJvVau.jpg
    BE2iHFi.jpg54jxUiR.jpg
    lfNH5tB.jpgJBdcgKf.jpg
    DJtlsD6.jpg

2021 was the year when I could finish with brake problems, and started fixing another things.

- 034 AUDI 7A EFI INJECTOR ADAPTER KIT (https://store.034motorsport.com/audi...-improved.html)
    At the end I removed it because I have a iddle problem, I want to fix it before make engine upgrades...

zevr4yM.jpgjvcr5H6.jpg

- H&R cup kit 40-40

6dCASOf.jpgDFAuMxt.jpg

Last edited by djpeck; 9 March 2022, 19:41.

Comment

At this moment, the car started to go more or less good. So I started looking for another wheels...

In January 2022 I located a bbs lm 18´ inch close to my home, of course 5x112 so I started with the operation

VaxYR5o.jpgy5ARWEQ.jpg
      IObQnhE.jpgHP3OJpR.jpg

Having this result!

VAb2wkF.jpgp9RevtW.jpg

After this, the only change I made was install a 01A short shift (https://store.034motorsport.com/01a-...e-quattro.html) with a 3D printed cap to avoid using a spring. Maybe in a short future I tried to improve this shifter. But I dont worry about it.

4Ip6ZMV.jpg

Apart of all this things, I changed lots of things, a lot! At this moment, I feel that the car is 98% running well. I am trying to fix some iddle problems, but car runs well, with power, and it sounds very good.

I don´t have more plans for the future. I spent so many money fixing it, so I want to enjoy for a long time. If I can afford spend the fuel prices of course

I hope you liked it!!

Comment

Great update on the very impressive work you've done, well done for keeping going - it was definitely worth it.

Ive had my cq20v 20 years now and know how i just can't say 'no' when it needs something doing to it ​​​​​​

Comment

Great story, many would have thrown the towel in after the rear end shunt. Well done.

Comment

Nice project, lovely car and great write up.

Well done for sticking with it and going down the drawn out legal route after the shunt, you absolutely made the right decision to get the whole car repainted.

I'm not normally a fan of colour coding the bottom of Coupes but this is one of very few example's where I can honestly say I really like the result, works very well with that colour, dark rear lights and ellipsoid headlights. And those wheels finish it all off perfectly.
            1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
            1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
            1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
            1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Thank you guys! This car has great sentimental value for me. And at this moment, after all this repairs, it is like a competition and I don´t care the money I spend on it. But I hope that now he stops asking for repairs and can start enjoying it as he deserves

Comment

Working...
              X